When you get divorced, there are so many things to do in order to move on – the list can be seemingly endless. One thing you may want to consider is whether you want to change your name back to your maiden name. So we’ve put together a handy guide on how to change your name after getting divorced in Australia.

It’s important to remember some processes and laws do vary from state to state across Australia, so this post is primarily focused on how to change your name if you live in Western Australia. For other states, please check your local laws and with relevant government departments.

Did You Formally Change Your Name After Getting Married?

First, consider if you need to legally change your name following your divorce.

If you formally changed your name by registering your married name with the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages, you will need to file a new application to change your name legally again.

Find the rules and forms you need to change your name as an adult in Western Australia here.

Do I Need To Register A Name Change Back To My Maiden Name?

If you never formally changed your name when you got married, you can simply revert to using your maiden name.

When you get married in Australia, you can choose to use your spouse’s name as a matter of custom and law, without having to formally register a name change.

To prove your name to any institution that requests it, you can provide evidence by showing your marriage certificate and divorce order .

Where Do I Go To Change My Name After A Divorce?

If you need or want to change your name legally you can apply to the Department of Justice and, specifically, the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

You will need to complete an application form, provide the relevant supporting documents and pay the name change fee. Currently the registration fee for a name change is $176 and there is an additional fee of $50 to obtain a Change of Name certificate.

You can also formally change your name (even if you didn’t formally change it when you got married) if you would like to avoid any potential difficulties in having companies or government departments recognising your new name.

What Documents Do I Need To Change My Name After Getting Divorced?

There are several supporting documents required to change your name. This is to ensure identity fraud is not committed and no-one can steal or assume another person’s identity.

Usually supporting documents need to include at least one with a photograph, one with a signature and one with a current address. These would be documents such as driving license, passport and a utility or rates bill.

For an up to date list of supporting documents required to change your name in Western Australia, visit the BDM website here.

How Do I Change My Name On My Passport?

If you need to change the name on your passport you can submit an application for a new passport.

When you change your name after getting divorced, you can apply for a new passport for free if:

  • your current passport expires more than two years from now, and
  • your current passport hasn’t been lost or stolen or suffered major damage, and
  • you’ve changed your family name, and
  • the current name change is your most recent name change, and
  • you can prove that the name change is related to a change in your marital or de facto relationship status.

Find out how to get a new Australian passport when you change your name on the Passports.gov.au website now.

Want To Divorce Without The Fuss?

Before you get a divorce in Australia, it can be worth booking a family mediation session with an experienced and impartial family mediator.

Call Ian Shann from Move On Mediation now for a confidential and obligation-free chat on 0418 928 448 or get in touch online now.

When it comes to family mediation in Perth, trust Move On Mediation.